Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Online Subscriptions Sources for Articles on Japanese Law
The Hastings Law Library subscribes to a number of online resources that may be useful in your research. More than 200 of our online resources are listed on the library's A-Z Database webpage. You can access all of them on campus. Most of them also allow remote access to current Hastings faculty & students. If you are not on campus you will be directed a Hastings login page. To use the databases off-campus, either enter your Hastings email username and password or enter your name (as shown on your Hastings ID) and your ID barcode number.
Journal articles can be one of the best places to find current research on your topic. Find law reviews and other scholarly journal articles on HeinOnline, Proquest, Westlaw, Lexis and Legal Scholarship Network.
Academic Search Complete
Full text coverage of a wide array of multidisciplinary academic journals.
Full text access to multidisciplinary academic journals published by Cambridge University Press. For some publications, only abstracts are available.
Articles and e-books covering topics including Social Science, Anthropology, Asian Studies, Business, Economics, Criminology, Criminal Justice, and Law.
Law Journal Library (HeinOnline)
Contains more than 1,620 law and law-related periodicals. Coverage is from the first issue published for all periodicals and goes through the most-currently published issues based on contracts. [Search Tip: Use advance search options for better results. For example, the search ..... "japan maternity leave"~25 ..... locates the words japan and maternity and leave within 25 words of each other.]
Legal Scholarship Network (LSN)
LSN is a searchable database of abstracts of working-papers as well as articles accepted for publication. Articles are available in full text.
Instructions: To access this database, create an account using your UC Hastings e-mail address.
To find law review articles on your topic: 1) Select "Secondary Materials" from the "Explore Content" section, then 2) Select "Law Reviews & Journals"
Oxford Journals Online
Searchable online access to the full range of journals published by Oxford University. Search in individual or mulitple titles, or by subject areas: Humanities, Law, Life Sciences, Mathematics and Physical Science, Medicine and Social Sciences. 1996- current.
The largest aggregated full-text database of journal articles, magazines, newspapers and dissertations for information on a broad range of general reference subjects such as business, political science, art, literature and psychology. Search 24 databases at ProQuest central or choose a subject database.
To search law review articles: 1) Select "Secondary Sources", and then 2) Select "Law Reviews & Journals." Use the "Advanced" option for better search results with advanced search terms.
Online and Print Sources for Articles on Japanese Law
Free Online Japanese Journals - English Language
- Social Science Japan, the English-language newsletter of the Institute of Social Science, University of Tokyo, provides concise information on key people, important issues, and recent developments in social science research on Japan.
- Kobe University Law Review - Selected English language articles are available for download.
- The Asia-Pacific Journal: Japan Focus - In-depth critical analysis of the forces shaping the Asia-Pacific and the world. Focuses on geopolitics, economics, history, society, culture, and international relations. Peer reviewed journal.
- Research papers by members and associates of the Australian Network for Japanese Law.
Japanese Law Journals at UC Hastings (Print)
San Francisco Public Library Non-Law Journals
Retrieve Articles using Inter-Library Loan
- If you are unable to find the article using UC Hastings and SFPL resources, you can request the article through Inter-Library Loan. The easiest way to request an article through inter-librray loan is to search for the article title on WorldCat and then select "Request Item"
- Google Scholar is a quick way to find scholarly articles. For full-text access click “settings”, click “Library Links” and then select Hastings and SFPL. “Save” your settings. [Note: You may need to find go to the Library's subscription databases or e-Journals pages to find the full-text of articles you locate on Google Scholar.]